Monday, January 23, 2006

Civic Duty

I did my civic duty this morning by voting. It's kind of a moot point in my riding because the dude I voted for will win by a landslide. It was a good way to cover up being late for work though "uh...I had to vote" :D And, like they say, if you don't vote, you can't complain.

I felt like a bit of a ping pong ball though. Go in and check which station applies. Go to station. I'm not registered. Go register. Go back and get "professionally" folded ballot. Go behind little cardboard booth. "Hey! We have a Marxist representative? Cool! Oh, and the Marajuana guy. Knew about him" :P Vote for previously determined dude after debating on the merrits of voting for someone because they have a cool name :D Go back to station. Perforated tab removed by "professional". Shove ballot into box making sure it's good and mangled on the way in. Leave.

Ah democracy :)

~Heidi

5 comments:

Mel said...

Funny way of explaning voting.

We are big on "if you don't vote, you cannot complain" in my family. I used to go with my parents and vote with them when I was too young to actually vote.

Empress4

Veronica said...

Compulsory voting here in Australia....but never on a Monday ;) Our elections are on a Saturday- voting starts at about 8am and goes til 5pm

agent713 said...

Municiple elections (as you know) are on Saturdays. Federal are always on a week day. Like I said, good excuse for getting out of work :D I have no problem with compulsory voting. Maybe people (like me) would care more. At least my vote will help the stats on numbers of "young adults" who vote.
~Heidi

Veronica said...

Um - I hate to burst your bubble. We have compulsory voting - but it doesn't mean people care more. Ever heard of a "Donkey vote"? I am sure that happens a lot here.

Mel said...

In the US we do not have to vote... and, unless it is a local special election, it is always on Tuesday. And your employer has to let you take time off if you need it to vote.