Friday, January 06, 2006

End of an Era

I met with my boss yesterday. He had asked me for a decision as to whether or not I was interested in staying on with the company by today. I went into head office at the end of the work day yesterday to meet with him face to face. I thanked him for the offer, told him I was flattered but that after much thought, prayer and discussion with friends and family I've decided not to accept it.

He said he wasn't really surprised, a little sad because he'd like to have kept me around, but not surprised. I didn't think he would be. He knows me pretty well.

We then went on to have a really good conversation about what kind of job I'm looking for, where I'm looking and some of the opportunities that may be available. He said to definitely put him down as a reference, but that if I got a job because of a reference he gave, then I owe them (the office) coffee and donuts :D Oh, and he said he'd give a good reference and try not to be bitter about the fact that I'm leaving them :D Very cool.

We talked about the placement agencies that I'm planning on contacting and he said to be sure to tell the one that he sent me. He used to work in the same building and has close ties with the owner so it should speak well for me.

I have *always* been a firm believer in the "it's not what you know, it's who you know" philosophy and I intend to work that. In fact on my "to do list" is sending out an email to everyone I know stating that I am in job search mode and asking them to keep their ears open. You just never know. I'm feeling really good about this whole thing. Over the past few years I've really learned to trust my gut instinct and it's giving me good vibes right now :)

Even though I am feeling good about it I can't help but feel a little bit like Rachel on Friends when she moved out of the apartment. "It's the end of an ERA!!!" I've been with this company for well over six years. I have learned more then you could dream and really have "grown up" with them. It will be sad to leave but exciting at the same time. It's definitely time to move on.

Now to go submit some resumes...

~Heidi

2 comments:

Veronica said...

What a great boss! Sad that you have to leav him behind - but I can see you have a great positive attitude and yes, the "it's not what you know, but who you know" is generally right - so use those contacts :)

Best of luck with the job search and keep us informed of the progress.

Pamela Lynn ~ flutterby7 said...

Good Luck in your job hunt. Very awesome about your boss and the references/use of his name with the one company. Networking can help more than most realize, so be sure to use it when you can.