Monday, April 10, 2006

My Weekend

Friday evening after watching “McLeod’s Daughters” (it’s addictive like a soap opera!) Mom and I went for a walk to enjoy the last of the good weather. (It’s been raining ever since). At eight I sat down and watched the Tim McGraw TV special “Tim McGraw: Reflected”. As far as TV specials go, it was really good. I’m glad I got to see it.

While I was watching the special, Dad went down to Home Depot and got a 6’ piece of doweling and some brackets which he installed in my bedroom. I now have a place to hang my square dance skirts and crinolines!!! No more piling them up on the floor :) I’ve been collecting them for over a year now. Friday was the first time I counted all of them. I have twelve! And four crinolines, actually five crinolines…only three of them are the big ones though.

Friday I also spoke with Meredith. Good news. She’s definitely coming home at the end of this year. Her time in Australia has been an excellent experience but it’s time for her to come home and move on with her life. I can’t wait till you’re back in the same hemisphere Mere :)

Saturday I went to my friend Terri’s Memoranza event. Terri and I initially met through SS. The first time we actually were face-to-face was at Showcase in Calgary. It turned out that we only live about 30 minutes apart!!! The next time I actually saw Terri was at the Vancouver Crop last November when Veronica was out. The Memoranza (short for “Memory Extravaganza” – replacement for “National Scrapbook Day”) event was great. I ended up sitting across from one of the ladies that I square dance with on Thursday’s. With Terri’s help, I got about 12 pages done and some of them have really unique, striking colour combinations. Thanks Terri!

Sunday was a lazy morning at home. Around noon Mom, Aaron and I headed down to Costco. Then we came back, had a quick lunch, and I headed stateside to Darrcie’s for the Sonics game.

Darrcie is another internet friend that I met though SS and CM. (Try explaining THAT at the border). At the Vancouver Crop (yes, the same one as mentioned above) I was commenting that I have basketball stickers to use up. Darrcie mentioned that her parents have season’s tickets to the Seattle Sonics and asked if I would like to go. Of course I jumped at the chance :) Sunday was the game.

The last time I was at an NBA game was when the Vancouver Grizzlies played the LA Lakers on Meredith’s birthday in 2000. For that game we were up in the balcony section of GM Place. Sunday we were in Section 113, Row 2. (This is the seating chart for Key Arena in Seattle).

See the space between 113 and 110? That is the tunnel to the home team dressing room. We were right beside it. It was awesome! I’ll upload pictures later on.

I like the headline from www.supersonics.com “Thriller at the Key: Sonics Edge Suns”. And they did. It was a great game. Neck and neck the whole way. Very entertaining. Even for me. Someone who has a working knowledge of the game thanks to high school gym class, but that’s about it. The *only* player I recognized on the court was Canadian Steve Nash on the Suns team. It was okay though. Actually it was probably better that way. I wasn't always looking for one or two players. I could watch them all equally.

Just after the second quarter started the two empty seats beside us were claimed by two mostly drunk basketball fans. They (especially the one right beside me) were very entertaining. Evidently they had started their day at the Mairners game and were continuing it and their drinking binge, at the Sonics game. They left after the third quarter. Must be nice to have company seasons tickets and be used to coming to games.

Final score was 116 to 114 for the Sonics. The deciding shot was a three pointer by Ray Allen that came with just 24 seconds left in the game. Very exciting :)

The game was finished by just after eight and I was home, in bed by 11:30. Darrcie, thank you so much for taking me. I had a blast! I'll try and upload some pictures later on.

~Heidi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had fun, Heidi! I did, too. My dh asked me last night if I had called to make sure you made it home ok. I said, "I know she's home, I read her blog this morning." Of course, Mr. "I hate computers" was dumbfounded that anyone would write a blog, and that I (or anyone) would read one. LOL. I think he's still getting used to the fact that I met you through the internet!!

Veronica said...

McLeod's Daughters :rolleyes: LOL

So if Meredith is coming home at the end of the year - will you be making a trip out to Aus before her return??? Huh?

Sounds like a busy and fun weekend.

Veronica said...

You know what I hate? I hate the word verification thingy - I hate when they distort the letters so you can't tell if it is a j or an i.

Oh well....

Emmy said...

Glad you had fun!!! btw, Key Arena is good venue for concerts too...