Thursday, September 20, 2007

Talk like a Pirate Day

Yesterday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day. I am so not in to that. There's a Facebook application you can load which will help you with that but it drives me nuts. I always ignore it.

BUT, in honour of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, I have a story. There's a cell phone ad on the radio that has been driving Seth and I nuts. The premise of the ad is that this girl is driving to school with a guy and her friend calls. The two girls are talking and in the background the guy is singing something about matters mathematical and equations. It's very catchy but we haven't been able to figure out the words.

Seth finally got enough of them yesterday that I was able to plug them in to Google and found out that the guy in the commercial is singing "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's, The Pirates of Penzance.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General,I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical,From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;I 'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news With
many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
Pirates of Penzance is one show I have very little experience with. I kind of want to see it now because I can't get this song out of my head! Read the full lyrics here

No comments: