Thursday, November 08, 2007

CMA 2007 Outcomes

Today, I'm glad I live in the Pacific Time Zone. I was able to start watching the live broadcast at 5pm (8pm Eastern) like everyone else. I went out at seven, came back just past nine and didn't miss a thing because the show is now being broadcast in the Pacific Time Zone. Sweet!

So, how did I do with my predictions? (and I know I was a bit loose with exactly who would win but work with me here)

Entertainer of the Year
Kenny Chesney
Correct, mostly. I'm happy :)

Male Vocalist of the Year
Brad Paisley
Wrong on the "Think Will Win" but right on the "Want" Sweet!!! WTG Brad. You totally deserve it. Great speech too. Very heartfelt.

Female Vocalist of the Year
Carrie Underwood
Correct. And wasn't Dierks a wonderful presenter? Even if he couldn't say "CMA Female Vocalist of the Year" LOL I loved the bit about having a crush on Alison Kraus :)

Vocal Group of the Year
Rascal Flatts
Correct. Surprise. Boring.

Vocal Duo of the Year
Sugarland
Okay, that previous surprise was sarcastic. This one really WAS a surprise. A good one, even if I'm not a fan of Jennifer Nettles' voice. They do have good songs. Note that they were my second choice so I'm saying I got it right :D

Horizon Award
Taylor Swift
Wrong. Cool. I like Taylor. I didn't think she could pull it off though. Loved her comment "this is the best thing about my senior year" LOL

Musical Event
"Find Out Who Your Friends Are" -- Tracy Lawrence Featuring Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney
Wrong. Definitely didn't see that coming. Especially since it's Tracy's first CMA, Tim McGraw wasn't even there (I don't think), and the label fought having the collaboration version released. I'd say this song was an underdog from the get go. It's nice to see it triumph. It makes me sad that I didn't go see Tracy at Billy Bob's in April though. Oh well.

Song of the Year
"Give It Away" -- Bill Anderson, Buddy Cannon and Jamey Johnson
Wrong on the Think, right on the Want.
I still remember the first time I heard this song. I was fighting traffic on my way in to Vancouver for the writing course I took in June of 2006. I had grabbed Burger King for dinner and I tuned in to KMPS out of Seattle for "Tony Thomas' 5 o'clock Test Track". This was the song they played. I loved it from the opening bar and it made me smile for the rest of the evening. It's one strong song off a fantastic album and I'm glad it won.

Jamey Johnson's speech was hysterical too. Thanking his ex-wife was genius LOL

Single of the Year
"Before He Cheats" -- Carrie Underwood
Correct. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure this song totally embodies what a "single" of year is supposed to be.

Album of the Year
It Just Comes Natural -- George Strait
Correct. I called it. As much as I wanted Dierks to win (and I admit, I was nervous because I think he had a chance) George really did put out an exceptional album.

Video of the Year
"Online" -- Brad Paisley
Second choice again. Close enough. This is his third win in this category. Well done. His wife (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) was a brilliant presenter too. Definitely the highlight of the evening.

So 7 out of 11. I didn't post about Musician of the Year but it's no surprise that Jerry Douglas took it again.

Final comments?
The last Eagles album was released before I was born!!! Loved their performance tonight though. Very well done.

Rascal Flatts? Painful. Especially with Jamie Foxx. Wrong on so many levels.

Reba and LeAnn? Very nice. Not sure about the first outfit LeAnn had on though. You're fit. We get it. :P

Ummm Brad, absolutely brilliant. The marching band, Kellie and Taylor were awesome.

Kenny, not too sure about the pants.

Taylor and Carrie both looked very uncomfortable on stage. Rodney was the exact opposite.

Interesting show though. It's over for another year and now we can update the titled "Three time winner and current reigning CMA Entertainer of the Year, KENNY CHESNEY" LOL

1 comment:

Kaesmom said...

I fell asleep while Alison Krauss was singing. I only saw Rascal Flatts do their first performance and I must say, it was awful. But I think it may have been the acoustics. Because Taylor Swift (and I'll admit, I'm not a fan of hers) sounded awful too.

But love that Kenny won for the 3rd time - and I'll be there again next summer if he heads to Boston again!