Friday, January 25, 2008

Appreciating the Seasons

I am not a fan of winter. Cold doesn't excite me. On the flip side extreme heat doesn't interest me either. I guess that's why I live where I do. It's really quite mild here compared to some climates. Over the past week we've been experiencing very clear, "cold" weather. I put cold in quotations because it's just been hovering around zero. Not truly cold but colder than I'd like it to be. I'm working to find the beauty in the season though. The best part about this time of year is the sun is rising and setting right while I am going to or coming home from work. It means I'm treated to beautiful sun rises and sun sets and I really notice the gradual lengthening of the days.

So far this week the sky has been lit up in the morning but the sun hasn't quite peeked over the mountains. This morning there was a cloud cover (they're predicting snow for the weekend) so the whole sky was painted a gorgeous pink colour.

In the evenings I drive in to the setting sun. When I leave work it's resting on the horizon and by the time I get home it has generally dipped below leaving a soft glow. I've trired to get a few pictures but it's hard to capture the crisp coldness contrasted with the rays of the sun. It's beautiful in any case and it reminds me to appreciate each day no matter what the season.

No comments: