Friday, May 23, 2008

It is done

I've been thinking about cancelling cable for a week or two now. With the weather getting nicer and the days getting longer (it's light past 9pm here) I don't want to be sitting in front of the tv. Unfortunately the only way I will ignore it is if it doesn't work. If I cancel it I can save more than $30 a month and on my current budget, that's a lot.

Today, I finally did it. My $35 package was the lowest available. I put it on hold which means that I'll need to pay a $19.95 reconnection fee on September 1st if I want it back. That's the day my internet comes back as well unless I call and cancel it totally. (I don't have a computer at home though so I don't see that changing right now). Initially not having the TV will be hard but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it really fast. I already like the idea of not being controlled by what time it is and what's on. I'm not strong enough to overcome that without feeling like I'm missing something so cutting the feed off is the only way. I have a busyish weekend planned and next week I'll start reading more and actually completing pages in my albums instead of just moving stuff around on commercial breaks.

3 comments:

Tracy Kosofsky said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you decided to do away with the TV!!! Tracy in FL

Martha said...

Good for you!
I'm sure you'll do fine...once the initial withdrawl phase passes.

And if you have internet access at work, with no computer at home, what's the hurry on that, right?

Savings is built through small steps and you are taking two BIG steps towards a more secure financial future! You go girl!!!

Kaye said...

Good for you!! If it wasn't for Greg and the boys I would probably cancel cable. It seems like I never watch TV anymore. I would rather read or scrap.