Friday, September 12, 2008

I think I'm finally getting over it

I don't think I've ever posted about it but when I initially moved out I developed an irrational fear of running out of food. I knew it was ridiculous but I couldn't help myself (or I chose not to). I liked the feeling of having a very full fridge, freezer and cupboards.

Slowly, slowly I am being cured of that. Shopping at the farmers' market helps. Knowing that I only need as many vegetables as I can eat in the next six days is huge. I buy a little, force myself to eat them (not that EATING them is the issue, it's cooking them. I'm lazy.) and then go buy more on Saturday.

I'm working on cutting down what is in my cupboards as well. I don't need bags and bags of pasta or five varieties of cereal. I get paid every 15 days. Groceries are part of the budget. If I eat what I have, I can buy new on my next shopping trip.

It's weird to have to train myself to think like this but after two years, I think I'm finally getting it.

No comments: