Thursday, February 11, 2010

Other People's Normal

Funny the things that stick with you from childhood. Impressions of people. I remember in Grade 9 I was working on a French project with a girl I had known since primary school. We made plans to meet up after school to develop our project. I showed up at her place not long after school got out and, this may seem weird, I was caught totally off guard because she had changed into sweats and a t-shirt. "Comfy clothes" compared to what she had worn to school that day. For me, someone who was fashion challenged, and got dressed in the morning and stayed in the same clothes all day, that was a totally foriegn concept.

Now, after working in an office for ten years, I totally understand her. Most days, the first thing I do when I get home is strip out of my "work clothes". Sometimes into sweats and a t-shirt, sometimes just into more casual clothes. I rarely keep on what I was wearing that day though.

Even on the weekend it's not rare for me to change two or three times a day. Different events call for different clothes. I frequently stop at home just long enough to change my clothes or, if I'm prepared, I'll take a change of clothes with me. I'm far from being a fashion plate but I know what I like to wear, when. I often think of that girl when I'm changing after work. How shocked I was that she had changed, and now, how I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: