Monday, May 03, 2010

My boss knows

I finally told him that I’m leaving. Initially it was harder than I thought and I’ll admit, I cried a bit but he’s so wonderful and understanding that it was okay. I’ll leave it up to him to tell the rest of my coworkers but he is the one I was most worried about telling.

It was kind of funny. I told him that I had something to tell him and that I had agonized (great word isn’t it? I stole it from someone but that’s another post) over when to do it. His first reaction was “You’ve found a better job”. I said “no, but I am leaving. Not for three months, but I am going.” Then I told him my plans and that this has been a five year plan which means I’ve known ever since I took this position. That I had very specific goals for my time here and while I still have work to do, I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot and hopefully made it easier for someone to step into my role, or at least whatever that will be.

He was very understanding and actually pretty excited for me. He’s quite educated himself so he certainly values schooling and knows it is a good choice for me. He’s understandably sad to lose me and even went as far as saying that when he took this job it was based on the people he’d be working with, including myself.

He’s asked me to assist with the recruitment process for my replacement but it seems like business as usual aside from the fact that of course there’s also the massive weight which has been lifted off my shoulders that makes it rather wonderful. It’s been making me crazy to have to keep this from him and while I’m glad I waited until now to say anything, I’m also really glad he knows.

No comments: