Saturday, June 26, 2010

Toy Story

So after waking up so blinking early Thursday I broke down and hung the blanket back over my window to block out the light. It worked. I slept in until 7:39 on Friday…yes I’m supposed to be at work at 8:00 :P No I wasn’t on time. I wasn’t too late though.

One of the reasons I slept so long, other than actually being ABLE to sleep, was because I was out late. I joined a group of friends to go see Toy Story 3 at the drive-in theatre. Of course the movie can’t start until it’s mostly dark out so it was a late night. Well worth it though. This was my first time at the drive-in and I loved it.

The movie though? It hit a little too close to home. I grew up with these characters. The first movie came out when I was 14 and I seem to remember "taking my dad" to see it as a Christmas present. Obviously it was a pretty self serving gift :P but we still had fun...even if we were a bit late and had to sit practically in the front row!

The second one came out the year I graduated. Both movies were ground breaking as far as animation goes and I remember being in awe of Pixar. Heck, I'm still in awe of them! I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs the other day while scrapbooking and I had to remember that 80 years ago, this was a pivitol movie! Now it seems to play out more like a thirties horror flick :P but the animation is still awesome. Anyways, I'm off track. Back to Toy Story.

The premise of the third movie is that Andy's moving off to college and the toys have to come to terms with that. Wow. After growing up with these characters, including, Andy, and even though I'm about ten years older/slower than him, I could really relate to having boxes everywhere. To taking stuff off walls and boxing up/giving away my childhood. I'm not afraid to admit that I cried. Just a little, but that shows how good Pixar is, and what happens when life imitates art so closely!

Good luck at school Andy! I'll be right there with you!

No comments: